Kagan Love

Last year, my school began to really focus on student engagement, and to do that, my principal worked extremely hard to get all of our staff some sort of Kagan training. If you've never heard of Kagan, you can check their website out here. I have loved every training I've been too - I have never been bored! Last year, I was able to go to a one day cooperative leaning, a one day win-win discipline, a model school open house, and a one day brain based learning. I even got to meet Dr. Kagan himself at the brain based learning workshop {and yes, we were dorks and had our picture made}.
Basically, like their tagline says, Kagan is all about engagement. The goal is that every child will be engaged in meaningful learning and to do this, they use different structures. There are LOTS of structures, so it can be very easy to get overwhelmed at first. {That's why I love their trainings - you learn by doing structures and not just hearing or reading about them}. These structures accomplish a few things...

To clarify, these structures are a means to establish cooperative learning in your classroom - not group work! In traditional group work, one student can do all the work while others do nothing. Kagan has all students accountable during learning! 
My goal this past year was to do a really good job at 2-3 structures. Two of my favorites {because they are super easy to implement with kindergarteners} quickly became Quiz, Quiz, Trade and Take Off, Touch Down. For Quiz, Quiz, Trade, each student gets card, then they stand up, put their hands up, and pair up with the person closest to them {this is also a strategy called Stand Up, Hands Up, Pair Up}. Then, the students greet each other {this is big in Kagan}, answer the question on their card/read a word/whatever the card has on it, give praise {something else that's big}, and then go find another partner. Every child is engaged! There is no one not interacting or learning! Here's a few pictures from when we used this structure with our word cards.



These cards are folded in the middle, so that there is a hint on the back in case the students have trouble.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Word-Cards-For-a-Variety-of-Games-and-Activities-1939512

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Word-Cards-For-a-Variety-of-Games-and-Activities-1939512

To check out the word cards we used for the structures above, click the picture below.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Word-Cards-For-a-Variety-of-Games-and-Activities-1939512
There are tons of other Kagan structures that I've used, or that I hope to try out this coming year and I plan on sharing more of my favorites on the blog. Next week, I'll be in Orlando for the Kagan Summer Academy where I'll get to attend two more Kagan workshops and I am super excited!

11 comments

  1. I'm going next week also. I love Kagan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

      Delete
  2. This looks very interesting! I just wishlisted your cards. :) Gonna try this out with my kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More, more, more! I love all of this! Thank you so much for sharing. We need more kindness and the ability to work with one another in our world and Kagan is such a great way to instill these needs in our students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My school has done it's own training in some Kagan strategies, but I am yearning to learn more. Please keep publishing your ideas and what you learn! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use Kagan and love it. As a school we were asked to incorporate the structure Team Statements in our lesson plans two times this month. I was wondering if you have used this structure with kindergarten students and if so would you be willing to share. plusk@district.hannibal.k12.mo.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are these strategies appropriate for other grades or just kindergarten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every grade can do Kagan! It works preschool to adult! It's about getting the kids engaged :)

      Delete
  8. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This has to be one of the most intelligent web contents I've come across in recent times. The style and delivery is similar to how we have the NCLEX CERTIFICATE FOR SALE​ ​ that is changing lives right now.

    Whenever there is a better way to BUY NCLEX CERTIFICATE ONLINE​ ​ I'll make sure to keep you and your audience informed. I'll definitely bookmark this link so I can always come back for more informative content. Cheers y'all and happy new year

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top