It's Been A While

Anyone out there?? Who knew 2 weeks could fly by so quickly?!? Who knew a 17 month old could get hand, foot, and mouth, cut two bottom teeth, miss Easter Sunday festivities, get a horrible cold, cut two top teeth, and have wretched allergies all in 2 weeks? Well, me either, but such is life lately. To top it off, we started our fabulous week of standardized testing this week {and I won't get on a soapbox about testing 5 and 6 years olds...another post, another time ;) }. Back to that cutie 17 month old that has had a rough go of it...here's a picture from this past Sunday when we had a "do-over" of Easter.
I know I'm a little biased, but could she get any cuter??
While time has been flying by, we wrapped up our insect study with butterflies. My kids were just a little obsessed since we had these in our classroom. Every morning they would immediately go over to see if all the caterpillars had made their chrysalis!
When we first began our study of butterflies, we of course learned about their life cycle. We did a little paper/pencil activity, but having the caterpillar cups in our classroom where the kids could see the life cycle actually happening really made a huge difference!
After reading some informational stories about butterflies, we charted what we learned and the kids wrote about their learning. We used watercolors to paint butterflies that we attached to our writing.



We also read one of my favorite stories, Charlie the Caterpillar. It's such a sweet story about the meaning of a true friend and also perfect to discuss how a character can change throughout a story.


Probably my most favorite activity while we study butterflies is making these caterpillar puppets to go along with the story, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We read the story, then sequence it using pictures from my sequencing pack. Then, we use paper plates that I've cut the middle out of to glue the pieces that the caterpillar ate each day. We also write the day of the week on the back of the plates to help us in our retelling. The puppets are tube socks that I dyed green and hot glued eyes to. After we make the plates, I let the kids get in partners to retell the story. They begged to do it over and over!





My friend Deeanna created this project and it is a favorite of everyone! You have to do it if you haven't taught insects yet! It had my kids so excited about retelling a story! {Click here to see Deeanna's pack}
To celebrate our learning of butterflies, a sweet mom sent us some butterfly bubbles. The kids had a blast with them!



Last Friday, most of our butterflies had emerged, so we released them, not wanting to keep them caged for the weekend. When we came back today, the rest of the butterflies had come out of their chrysalids! It's always so funny to release them...the kids are excited and sad all at the same time! This last picture might be one of my favorites from all year...what learning is all about!



This week we're moving on to plants. I'm hoping to make things as fun as possible, since we're worn out by the time we get finished testing each morning!
Here's to a great week!

10 comments

  1. Your daughter is adorable! I hope she stays healthy. I love the 'caterpillar' sock and plates idea! I will have to do that with my little ones.
    Kate
    Fun in ECSE

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is absolutely precious!!!! And I love that caterpillar sock activity! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, my first ABSOLUTE favorite thing about this post, is the beautful "do-over" from Easter. To answer your question, I don't know how she could get any cuter, but I am sure she will find a way!
    And second, I love the retell activity with the puppet- that is adorable!
    Love to you both!
    Squirrels
    Go Nutty with Me!
    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I really enjoy and inspired with reading it. This post is very constructive produced by you. norton.com/setup

    www.norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice article, I found it very useful .Even I have this wonderful website, norton.com/setup
    www.norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  6. kmode exception not handled I am here just to remind you that, you are doing great work, and are distributing smiles. So, please keep this up, and keep distributing this amazing content.

    ReplyDelete

  7. Hello Connections!
    Looking for Senior Care Colorado and surrounding areas. Leave all the worries! The Gardens Care Homes is one of the pioneering Senior care service providers in USA. Our mission is to provide best in class senior care services for elderly to help them live happy, active and independent lives, in the comfort of their home and community through interactive caregiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. What’s app contact : +44 7520 636249‬

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud and happy to be here to share this remarkable testimony, wonderful and extraordinary, I just can't believe now my ex-husband is here with me begging for all his wrong doings, telling me how empty he felt all the while he was away, he left me and caused me so pain after a divorce that occurred 5 months ago. And this whole miracle happened immediately after I contacted Dr. Egwali for help, I am the happiest woman in the whole world today i would say' having him again by my side. It is a miracle for me and my family and eternal pleasure and merriment. I am so happy now and I do not know how much to express my gratitude and appreciation to Dr.Egwali. I would strongly recommend him if you need immediate help as it is guaranteed.
    Email him today /dregwalispellhome@gmail.com or via
    WhatsApp: +2348122948392

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did really good work. I really appreciate your new and different post. Now its time to avail dispatch freightfor more details.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top