All About Insects

Y'all, this poor little blog has been a little bit neglected the past few weeks! Spring Break has come and gone {and it snowed on us!!} and we are back in full learning mode as busy as ever. Fortunately, the weather has been beautiful here {until yesterday and now there's flooding - boo!} and this sweetie and I have been in the yard almost every afternoon {hence the reason no blog posts!}.
She's finally walking pretty well {if you follow my instagram, you know we struggled a little!} and she is into everything now!
At school, we've been busy learning all about insects. This is always one of my favorite themes and my little ones are pretty into it as well! We started last week by discussing what we already knew about insects. Then, we read a non-fiction story about insects and added some new learning. We used our big bug to help us learn the parts of an insect then each of the kids made their own diagram of an insect. They turned out great!




We learned all about honeybees and wrote an interesting fact we learned.


We also learned all about ants. We wrote two interesting facts we learned and attached them to these cute ants. I gave the kids the red pieces and a big black piece and told them to make an ant. No step by step directions for this one. I love the way they all turned out so unique!


While we were learning about ants, we read Hey, Little Ant and charted reasons the boy should or should not step on the ant.
The third insect we learned about was fireflies. I don't have a non-fiction book about fireflies, so it was a good excuse to talk about other ways to do research. We charted what we learned, then the kids wrote about fireflies. We also read The Very Lonely Firefly and charted what happened in the beginning, middle, and end on a big firefly. This was a great visual for my kids to see that most of the story happens in the middle since the thorax/wings were the biggest part of the firefly.


In math, we made insects to hold our Buggy for Math journals. The kids loved doing these each day and they were great practice to get my kids thinking about which operation to use! This is part of my Buggy for Math craftivity pack. 



I used the insect fact book from that same pack to let my kids write a little informational book about insects. They turned out so cute!

Whew, that was a lot! Hopefully I'll be back tomorrow to share some of our ELA and math centers we've been using. Hope you all had a great Monday!!

3 comments

  1. I just love all of your anchor charts. They always turn out so cute! I also like how you seem to have a craft for everything and are able to guve it an educational purpose. Your daughter is precious too! Thanks for sharing!
    Jada
    Daisy Days for Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your charts are amazing! Can I be in your kinder class?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top