Fantasy and Nouns



In our reading series this week, we have been talking about fantasy and things in stories that are real and make believe. Our story this week was Pouch, but I wasn't crazy about it and wanted my kids to understand fantasy a little bit better, so I pulled out a lesson from last year. Yesterday, we read the classic Little Red Riding Hood. We talked about the parts of the story that were real and the parts that were make believe. This story really helped because there are some far fetched things that happen (people popping out of a wolf's stomach??).
Then, we sorted pictures as to whether they were real or make believe. I *tried* to make a cute Red Riding Hood to attach to our papers, but she didn't quite come out right. However, the kids loved her and that's all the counts, right?
Today we read Little Red Cowboy Hat and compared the story to the classic version. The kids loved it!
You can get the Little Red Riding Hood activities here {for free!}

We also made a little anchor chart to help us remember what fantasy means. Each child drew something that is fantasy, and we hung it on our chart that will remain in our reading area.
Our reading series also has us learning all about nouns right now. To start, we made a chart and I let the kids tell me all the people, places, and things they could think of.
Today, we sorted pictures into people, places, or things. {You can grab this here for free as well}
We also did a little activity from Nicole over at Rowdy in Room 300 that the kids loved! I forgot to take a picture of ours, but you can click here to get  to her activity.

Next week we'll still be working on nouns as well as apples, so I can't wait to use this idea and freebie from Alisha over at The Bubbly Blonde!

That's it for now...how's your week going?

8 comments

  1. Thanks for the wonderful idea, pictures, and free printables. I think my kids will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the noun sort. This will be great in a couple of weeks when we get to nouns. The red riding hood freebie wouldn't open. would you mind emailing it to me? CombsCrew@msn.com Just realized today my kiddos need a lot of work on real and fantasy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you you for the shout out! I'll be definitely be using yours next week as a review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome lessons!!! Thanks a bunch for the ideas and the freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Thank you for the ideas and the freebie. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Love your Little Red Riding Hood activities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shout out! I love your story comparison!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little red riding hood docs wouldn't open. I would love to use this next week for my unit, Can you let me know how I can download it. Thanks!!!!
    email- aecampos33@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top