When We Grow Up

Thanks to my sweet friend and teammate Deeanna, we are learning all about community helpers this week and talking about what we want to be when we grow up.
Yesterday, we read Everyone Works and discussed jobs people do and why we have to work. Then, the kids told their shoulder partners what they wanted to be when they grew up and the partners shared with the class. We also wrote about what we want to be when we grow up...you can see I still have a wide range of writing levels in my class, but we are making progress :)

I want to be a doctor. I want to help people. 

In the army

I want to be an artist so I can earn money. 
Today, we revisited the story and discussed the different things people need to do their jobs. Then I gave each kiddo a picture card with either a community helper or something they need and they had to mingle to find their partners. This is an activity from Deeanna's community helper pack that will be posted soon. :)


In math, I adapted one of Deeanna's acitvities to our Promethean Board and we practiced working out story problems with our construction worker and his tools. I would read a story problem, and one of the kids would come up to put his tools in the toolbox or take some out then we would write and solve our equation. Can I just tell you how much I love hearing kindergarteners say the word equation? Makes my day!

That's all for now...I have got to get finished with my winter centers that were supposed to be finished over a week ago...eeek!

6 comments

  1. Elevator man!!! God bless his heart. Bring him to me and he can play on the elevators all he wants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the little mini books. I'm so excited I found your blog, it is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this unit! Where can I find the "What Do They Need?" matching activity?

    ReplyDelete

  4. https://www.yengecegitim.com/ anaokulu malzemeleri eğitici oyuncaklar kreş oyuncakları anaokulu mobilyaları

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top